Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Madonna Inn


This morning we stopped on our way to the beach at
The Madonna Inn. Built by a husband (architect) wife (interior designer) team, it is in a category all it's own. The inn opened in 1958 and has since become a California Landmark.


The steakhouse restaurant is pure gaudy glam which seems to be a recurring theme throughout. The family and I looked around the common areas and all I could think was 'Oh, my gaudiness!'. I do think that this kind of over the topness is brave and fun, scary as it is.


The Inn has 109 unique rooms. Tour them here but know that only a true visit can give you the full measure, wow.

Rereading this post, I don't sound at all like I had fun visiting the Madonna Inn. So, just to be sure I've given an accurate account, I totally did. We were all amazed by it and of course I couldn't help but daydream about having a hotel with 109 rooms all needing my design attention, wow!

2 comments:

All Things Blue said...

Oh my - oh my. I really can't find anything proper to say. I've never seen anything like it. But wouldn't it be fun though to have your own inn and for once have a chance to decorate in all the different styles that you love. Hmmm - I guess that's what the wife of this couple thought too.

Anonymous said...

Unique is definately the word and brave. But at the same time very interesting and I would love to see it.