Thursday, April 01, 2010

A Break in Our Regular Programming

I've never been a fan of April Fool's Day. Who wants to be fooled? Not me. So, last year when Meg from Pigtown Design suggested updating this holiday to be one aimed in a positive direction, April Food Day, I was more than happy to participate.

This is a topic that is near and dear to me. As a child, my father died when I was very young leaving my mother with 4 small children and no income. For a long time, boxes of food were simply left on our porch. My third grade teacher baked us cakes and cooked us casseroles regularly. We were taken care of by others when we were not able to do it for ourselves and so today, I try to return that favor by offering the same for others. Now, many days, life just goes by and I am so wrapped up in what is going on in my own household, that I forget to look beyond. April Food Day gives me a gentle reminder to do good.

While hunger is an ongoing social issue, it is one that we can affect positively. Today, I encourage you to make a donation large or small to Feeding America in the US (using this link), or to your local food bank if you are visiting from another country. Many people are going without especially with the state of our economy and it's no joking matter.

3 comments:

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Thank you so very much. Both for sharing your story and for putting a human face on need.

Together, through this strange medium, we can make a difference.

debacled said...

I'm going to repost on my blog

Karyn said...

Easy and Elegant, you are welcome. I'm glad you came up with the idea.

Deborah, that's the perfect thing to do!